|**New policies as of 2/4/13.
• SHIPPING DAYS: Probiotics will only be shipped Monday through Wednesday to avoid weekend delays. Orders for probiotics received on Thursday or Friday will be held for shipment on Monday.
• DURING WARM WEATHER: To better protect your probiotics, Kirkman® now requires 2 day or next day shipping service during warm weather. (We will honor your shipping choices and not automatically upgrade your shipping methods).
• DURING COLD WEATHER: Kirkman® recommends 3-business days service to most locations.
If you have any questions regarding your probiotic shipping please call our customer service department at 1-800-245-8282.
Kirkman’s Acidophilus Powder has been reformulated and improved. In addition to Lacobacillus acidophilus, this improved version contains six strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium probiotics while the older version contained two strains of Lactobacillus and three strains of Bifidobacterium. Streptococcus organisms have also been removed from the new formulation.
Another improvement is that this new formula contains a significant amount of inulin from chicory root, which is an effective prebiotic. The prebiotic gives the probiotic a significant substrate to attach to in the intestinal tract resulting in improved colonization.
Each ½ teaspoon (2.5 gm) of this product delivers 14 billion colony forming units of beneficial bacteria. The powder can be mixed in food or drink as long as the temperature of the food or beverage does not exceed 70 degrees F.
Acidophilus is a general name for a group of probiotics, which contains one or more of the following friendly bacteria that aid in digestion:
• Lactobacillus acidophilus (A)
• Lactobacillus casei (C)
• Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus (L)
• Bifidobacterium species (B)
• Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus
Taking acidophilus increases the friendly bacterial flora that live in the intestines. This friendly flora is important in keeping harmful bacteria and yeast in check. If friendly flora is depleted an overgrowth of yeast or harmful bacteria can occur which may lead to infection and a variety of symptoms such as thrush, rash, and diarrhea.
There are numerous factors that contribute to the friendly bacteria ( Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) being destroyed or depleted in the gut, which include:
• excessive stressful conditions;
• improper diet or nutrient deficiencies;
• food allergies/sensitivities;
• overgrowth of yeasts, harmful bacteria, viruses, etc.;
• abnormal permeability of the intestine;
• exposure to numerous medications;
• environmental toxins or chemicals.
When the good flora is depleted, it is important to supplement with the beneficial bacteria in probiotics to restore a healthy balance.
Acidophilus Powder can be useful in many situations of gastrointestinal disturbances such as:
• supporting the body’s natural defenses and the intestinal tract’s immunological barrier;
• helping to alleviate occasional diarrhea & constipation;
• addressing lactose intolerance issues.
• assisting with regulating intestinal mobility and normal bowel function;
• helping to create an inhibitory effect on free radical activity in the colon.